20th Century Repair and Restoration
Chancel Arch - Southern End
There was under-pining in the early part of C20, drawings and specifications are in GRO.
The wall paintings were restored in 1938 under the direction of Professor E.W. Tristram.
In 1935-7 the five east bays of the south aisle were ‘reconstructed and repaired’. Following work on the tower roof in 1952 work started on the four west bays of the south aisle. The north aisle roof had oak panels replaced, the insulation material then used above this turned out to be absorbent and the width of the copper sheeting was too great. Wind blowing across the copper sheets lifted them. These roofs needed to be replaced 50 years later. During this time there were a number of attempts to steel copper and lead from the north aisle roof, it is very much out of sight. Over a period of time much of the outer sheeting was replaced. On one occasion we discovered the theft of sheeting because water started to come in on Lord Berkeley’s tomb. On another occasion the police noticed a car in the castle drive but could not find anyone around, when the theft was discovered a tool with the thief’s initials carved in the handle was found on the roof.
The north aisle was reroofed in 2000 and work on the south aisle is due to start (2002).
The pinnacles were replaced in the 1950s. The faculty correspondence states that the stone would come from Cotswoldale Quarry, Tetbury.
In July 1952 specifications and drawings for a new tower roof were produced. Messrs Robert Watson & Co. Ltd. started the work in about October and, along with stonework repairs and painting the bell frame the work was finished in January 1953. The cost of the work was £695-15s-2d.
The clock face was re-gilded soon after.
One of the major causes of water penetration into the building has been the gutters of the nave roof. They are an integral part of the stone structure of the nave walls. Any lining of the gutter has always moved within the gutter with temperature changes. Freeze-thaw of ice and snow also caused movement. This resulted in the opening up of joints of any lining within the gutter. The gutters were given a continuous fibre-glass lining. This was done in 19() with the help and approval of English Heritage. See Nave in this section.
Andrew Waring Associates carried out a structural survey of the building on 7th and 8th June 1988, at the same time W. Gartner of the Canterbury cathebg Wall Painting Workshop inspected the wall paintings. A programme of work was started.
The wall paintings at the east end of the south aisle were restored by Gartner in 1990. The need to stabilize the Tudor rose was the reason why this work was done in isolation. A trial section of the screen was cleaned (about 1.5m at the north end and 1 ½ shields) by Miss Anna Hulbert who also restored the ceiling in the castle morning room.
The Chancel has a new lead roof; this work was done during the summer of 1991. The exterior of the Chancel is the responsibility of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester cathebg.
There is a significant tilt of the nave walls to the south. The walls have been stabilized. There are now stainless steel beams, built in sections, running along the top of both the north and south walls. The stainless steel wires that can be seen when looking up inside the nave have tied the beams together.
The wooden structure of the roof was inspected and repaired as necessary; this now has a covering of new materials with a final layer of cast lead sheeting.
The new lead gutters were laid on the fibre-glass lining. There are rubber expansion strips bonded between each length of lead. See gutters in this section.
The roof ridge with the lily motif, a symbol of the Virgin Mary and found in the wall paintings, is a new feature and acts as a ventilator.
The external walls have been rendered. The above work was done in 19().
North Aisle, Porch & Organ Loft
In 1999/2000 the roofs were striped down to the wood, which is visible from inside the church. New materials were used to form a covering, the copper being replaced by sheets of cast lead.